ANNOUNCEMENTS & NEWS
The library is open for walkthrough visits. All patrons must wear a mask (including those who have been vaccinated). Patrons who do not properly wear masks will be asked to leave.
Visiting Your Walkthrough Library
- Masks must be worn properly at all times or patrons will be asked to leave.
- Visits should be limited to two hours per day, per patron.
- Patrons should practice safe social distancing.
- All patrons (2+) must wear a mask, including patrons who have been vaccinated.
- Area capacity limits are in place.
- High touch surfaces are cleaned every 2-3 hours.
Available Services Upon Reopening
- Browsing for books, movies, audiobooks/playaways, CDs, magazines, puzzles, and kids room resource kits
- Walk-through one-hour visits
- 90-minute computer appointments
- Copiers and Scanners
- Curbside Pickup and in-library hold pickup
- Reference and readers advisory (also available via online chat and telephone)
- Wireless printing and Curbside Pickup printing
- Virtual Programming
- Wifi access (available in the parking lot, too!)
- The Cupboard
- Online Book-An-Expert assistance
- Limited furniture and seating
(as of Monday, February 1)
- Children's play areas
- Meeting and study room reservations
- In-person programming
- In-person Book-an-Expert assistance and one-on-one assistance with eReaders and tablets. Socially distanced help may be available depending on demand.
- Water fountains and water bottle refill stations
- The Café
- Video gaming
- Notary services
- Media Lab, Training Room, and Quiet Study Room use
Updates and more information
MARCH 31, 2021
Update to Library Services: Limited Seating and Annual Guest Passes
The library is pleased to announce the reintroduction of limited public tables and chairs in the Adult and Teen Services Department and Kids Room. Three tables are available in both departments. Reservations can last for up to 1.5 hours per day, per group, with a total of four people seated at a table at once. Walk up reservations are allowed for any patron of the library, and DGPL cardholders may book in advance for same-day reservations by calling or emailing the contact information provided below. All other library rules and guidelines for COVID-19 safety remain in place, including properly wearing masks and refraining from food and drink.
Additionally, the library’s Computer Help Desk will be transitioning to the use of annual guest passes for computer use on April 5. Guest passes allow non-cardholders to utilize the library’s computers, printers, and scanner without a library card. Guest passes are available by simply registering at the Computer Help Desk with an ID. There are no residency requirements to obtain a guest pass. The Downers Grove Public Library hopes that moving to the annual pass will increase equitable access to computers for patrons. The move to annual passes is part of an effort to minimize physical transactions in the library, helping to prevent the spread of infectious diseases like COVID-19.
Ask Us Desk
630-960-1200 ext. 4274
Kids Room Desk
630-960-1200 ext. 4279
Computer Help Desk
630-960-1200 ext. 4288
MARCH 29, 2021
Roofing Project Continues Focus on Long Term Capital Needs
Starting March 29, DGPL will continue to address the capital projects laid out in the 2017 Capital Needs Assessment. The roof replacement project will add a new membrane with a 30 year warranty to the flat portion of the library roof. This membrane will increase the energy efficiency of the roof system. Additionally, the project will address drainage issues. Publicly bid in January, the project was awarded to the lowest responsible bidder (Riddiford Roofing) in February.
The safety of our patrons is very important. Safety measures, such as fencing off work areas and placing extra dumpsters near the library, are expected to be used. Entrance areas will be done during hours the library is closed to the public. The new liquid membrane roof is biobased, with little to no volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and can be used in occupied hospitals, schools, and libraries.
Continue to check this page for the latest updates.