COVID-19 & Reopening
ANNOUNCEMENTS & NEWS
The library building is open limited hours and limited services.
Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
New requirements for in-library visits:
- Wear a face mask/covering at all times
- Maintain social distancing (stand 6’+ apart)
- No food or drink
- Wash/sanitize hands often
- Children 8 and under must be supervised and accompanied by an adult at all times
what will a visit look like?
To adhere to state guidelines, the library will have limited capacity, services, and a rearranged physical space. We encourage patrons to use the library remotely and via Curbside Pickup as much as possible.
- Patrons will enter through the Forest Ave. accessible entrance, and exit through the North push-door exits. The Curtiss Street entrance is also open.
- All patrons will adhere to the new requirements for in-library visits (above).
- Visits should be limited to two hours per day.
- Area capacities are limited to allow for social distancing.
- Directional pathways are mapped out to manage traffic throughout the library.
- Elevator rides are limited to one person/family at a time.
- Browsing for books, movies, audiobooks/playaways, CDs, magazines, puzzles, and kids room resource kits
- Reference and readers advisory at service desks
- Library card registration
- Computer use - reservations required*
- Copiers and scanners
- Wireless printing and Curbside Pickup printing
- Inter-library loan
- Pick Up Anywhere holds
- Hold pickup (self-service, in-library)
- Curbside Pickup
*Computer use is limited to one 90-minute reservation per day. No extensions may be granted. This reservation counts towards an individual’s daily hour-long visit. Reservations may be made by DGPL cardholders and annual passholders only. Drop-in sessions, if available, may be requested at the Computer Help Desk.
(until further notice)
- Furniture and seating
- Children's play areas
- Meeting and study room reservations
- In-person programming
- In-person Book-an-Expert assistance and one-on-one assistance with eReaders and tablets. Socially distanced help may be available depending on demand.
- Water fountains and water bottle refill stations
- The Cupboard and the Café
- Video gaming
- Notary services
- Media Lab, Training Room, and Quiet Study Room use
Updates and more information
October 5, 2020
Message from Director, Julie Milavec:
The Downers Grove Public Library is in the next phase of its reopening plan: Restoring Services and Hours. This gradual, non-linear process will include changes responsive to the community needs and current Restore Illinois phases and restrictions for our region.
Since July 6, the library has been open for walkthrough visitors and encourages patrons to grab-and-go. Currently, patrons are invited to visit the library for up to two hours per day. In-library PC use is available for up to 90 minutes per day, per person. Children age 8 and over may visit the library without a caregiver. Available services include: browsing the stacks for materials, computer use, and reference and readers advisory at our help desks. Unavailable services include children’s play areas, meeting and study rooms, notary services, and furniture and seating. Virtual programs continue, and we are hopeful to reintroduce in-person programming, starting with computer classes, in late 2020.
On October 12, the Curtiss Street entrance will reopen to the public. Curbside Pickup service continues, so watch for library staff when entering and leaving through those doors. On Saturday, October 17, weekend hours will extend to 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Saturdays, and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Sundays. Weekday hours remain 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
We recognize that not everyone feels comfortable with an in-person visit. All of our virtual services and Curbside Pickup for patrons remain available for patrons who wish to use our services from home. If you need services that are not available virtually or through Curbside, contact us for additional accommodations.
Thank you for your patience and understanding through our reopening. We look forward to seeing you soon!