Be an informed voter this April!
Preparing to vote
Whether you're a first-time voter or you've never missed an election, this page will help you get ready for this April's consolidated election. More information can be found in-library on the second floor at the Informed Voter Corner.
REGISTER TO VOTE
Check if you're registered to vote: search by name or address to determine registration status.
Not registered? Illinois has a grace period! You can register at the same time you go to vote.
You must register at least 28 days prior to an election in order to vote in that election. You can register by mail or in person. Following the close of registration, Illinois allows for "Grace Period" Registration and Voting beginning the 27 day prior until the day before an election. During the Grace Period, you must vote at the same time that you register. Online registration is available through the 15th day prior to Election Day. On Election Day, you may register to vote and vote and the same time, but only at your designated polling location.
HOW TO VOTE
Vote In Person
- Prepare to vote by checking your sample ballot
- Vote early by visiting any temporary or permanent early voting location
- Vote on election day by finding your polling place
- Arrive early and plan to spend time in line
- If you fill out a paper ballot: only use the writing utensil provided
- If you fill out a touch-screen ballot: ask for help if you need it
- Did you know? You can bring list of your chosen candidates with you into the ballot box!
Vote By Mail
- Apply to vote by mail using any of the following methods:
- A ballot will be mailed to your address.
- Mail-in votes must be postmarked no later than the day of the election to be considered valid and counted.
- 2/25/21 First day of Early Voting at Election Authority site
- 3/10/21 First day of Grace Period registration and voting
- 3/22/21 First day of Early Voting at sites other than the Election Authority
- 4/1/21 Last day Election Authority will mail a Vote-by-Mail ballot
- 4/3/21 Last Day of Early Voting at temporary voting sites
- 4/5/21 Last day of Early Voting at the Election Authority
- 4/5/21 Last day of Grace Period registration and voting
- 4/6/21 Consolidated election