Monday - Friday
10:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
*Curbside Pickup will not be offered on holidays.
how does it work?
- Request your materials (see below).
- You'll receive an email stating your materials are on hold and can be picked up. Patrons who do not have an email listed will receive a phone call. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to update your contact information.
- Drive to the library's Curtiss Street entrance and pull into one of the designated Curbside Pickup spots.
- Put your mask on and tell a staff member your name or hold up a sign with your last name and library barcode number.*
- Items will be checked out to your account while you wait in your car. Please be patient.
- Pop your trunk or leave it unlocked as you see the staff member approaching your car and remain inside. If staff members are unable to open your trunk, your order will be placed at the curb in front of your car. Wait until the staff member has moved at least 6' before exiting your car to retrieve your items.
- Staff will place your materials in the trunk and notify you that the transaction is complete.
- Come to the library's designated Walk Up spot by the Curtiss St. entrance and wait for a staff member.
- Stay at least 6-feet away from the staff member, and keep your mask on. Give your name and last four digits of your library card.
- A staff member will bring your materials outside and place them on the table.
- Please wait until the staff member has cleared the area before taking your materials.
*A mask must be worn at all times. Staff members will not complete a transaction if patrons are not wearing a mask and/or distanced. If you are unable to wear a mask, please contact us for an accommodation.
**If you have tested positive for COVID-19, please use the contactless car pickup option to receive your materials. If you are unable to do a Curbside Pickup by car, a friend or family member may pick up your materials. Contact (630) 960-1200 ext. 4274 or email AskUs@dglibrary.org if you have questions.
Two ways to choose materials:
Choose Your Own: perfect for if you know exactly what you want
- Log in to your account and place items on hold. Look for items that are listed as "On Shelf" at the Downers Grove Public Library.
- OR call (630) 960-1200 to have a staff member put items on hold for you. If someone is unable to take your call, leave a message with your request and email address. A staff member will respond to your request.
Request a Recommendation: staff will find items for you based on your interests
- Call the AskUs desk for adult and teen recommendations: (630) 960-1200 ext. 4274
- Call the Kids Room desk for kid recommendations: (630) 960-1200 ext. 4279
- Fill out a recommendation form.
Printing documents: print from home, pick up through Curbside Pickup
- Print orders will take up to 48 hours to be completed. No rush jobs are available.
- A staff member will contact you via email to notify that the pickup is available.
- Print orders are limited to 10 pages per patron per day.
- Patrons have 3 days (including weekends) to pickup print orders.
Curbside Pickup details
- Patrons are limited to 30 materials per Curbside Pickup order.
- Discovery Bags and Maker Monday bags are unavailable through Curbside Pickup with the library is open. Patrons must come into the library to receive a bag.
- Items will be checked out to patrons once they arrive at the library. It may take a moment to process the materials and bring them out.
- Only one library card's order may be processed per car.
- Curbside Pickup holds will be held for seven days, including weekends.
- Patrons may request both DGPL and Inter-Library Loan (ILL) materials.
- The library will ONLY service patrons in the designated 15-minute Curbside Pickup parking spots. If the spots are full, please circle the block or use the parking lot until one is available.
- Staff will not accept returns from patrons or cars during a Curbside Pickup transaction.
- All returns must be put in the book drops on Forest Ave. (located by the 15-minute parking spot, or by the accessible entrance) or Curtiss St. (located to the right of the main entrance).
- The library is fine free! No late-fees will be charged to patrons. Lost and damaged materials will still be billed to patrons.
- If the book drop is full, the door will lock. Do not stack or leave materials on the ground or by the doors of the library. Any abandoned materials will not be considered returned.
- Items will be quarantined before processing, and will remain on patron accounts until they have been checked in.
- The library is currently not accepting donations.
Health & Safety:
- All returns are quarantined in adherence to the REALM Project's study and recommendations.
- Staff report to work only if they (and family members) are healthy.
- Limited staff members are allowed in the building at the same time.
- Social distancing guidelines are closely followed.
- Staff and patrons have limited contact during Curbside Pickup.
- PPE is provided for staff members. All staff are encouraged to wash their hands frequently.
- Workspaces are regularly cleaned with sanitizer.
Frequently asked questions
Have questions or need assistance with placing a hold? Call (630) 960-1200, email AskUs@dglibrary.org, or use the chat service at the bottom of any page of this website.