This is my first time voting! What do I do?
How can I check if I am registered to vote?
- Search by name or address to determine registration status.
How do I register to vote?
Can I register to vote online?
- Yes! Visit https://ova.elections.il.gov/ and have your Drivers License & Social Security number handy. You can also come to the Ask Us Desk on the 2nd floor and we have a computer set up just for voter registration.
When is the deadline to register?
- You must register at least 28 days prior to an election in order to vote in that election. You can register by mail or in person. Following the close of registration, Illinois allows for "Grace Period" Registration and Voting beginning the 27 day prior until the day before an election.
Can I register to vote at the library?
- Yes! We have a computer for online voter registration in the lobby at the Info Desk and on the second floor at the Ask Us Desk. Also, National Voter Registration Day is Tuesday, September 25, when a representative of the League of Women Voters can help you register and answer questions.
Where are early voting locations?
Where is my polling place?
What district am I in?
Who are my representatives?
- Project Vote Smart - https://votesmart.org/
- Gov Track - https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members
- Vote411 - https://www.vote411.org/
- USA.gov https://www.usa.gov/voting
Where can I find out about the candidates?
- Ballotpedia - https://ballotpedia.org/
- BallotReady - https://www.ballotready.org/ (going live October 1st, 2018)
Where can I find more information on the issues?
- Points of View Reference Center thru www.dglibrary.org
- RealClear Politics https://www.realclearpolitics.com/
- Project Vote Smart https://votesmart.org/
Important Dates to Remember for November 6, 2018 Midterm Elections
- 8/8/18 - First day to make application for an official Vote by Mail ballot.
- 8/30/18 - Last day for filing advisory or binding questions.
- 9/27/18 - First day for Election Authority to mail an official Vote by Mail ballot.
- 9/27/18 - First day for Early Voting at the Election Authority.
- 10/10/18 - First day of Grace period registration and voting.
- 10/22/18 - First day of Early Voting at sites other than the Election Authority.
- 11/1/18 - Last day for Election Authority to receive Vote by Mail application.
- 11/5/18 - Last day of Early Voting at sites including the Election Authority.
- 11/5/18 - Last day of Grace period registration and voting.