The Ladies Library Association began a small reading room above the Farmers and Merchants Bank on the northeast corner of Main and Curtiss. In 1895, it held 600-700 volumes.
Following a successful referendum for a tax-supported library, a small frame building on the southwest corner of Main and Curtiss became the library's second home. Circulation in November of 1912 was 1,520.
With financial help from the Carnegie Foundation, a new brick building on the corner of Forest and Curtiss opened its doors. Total cost: $11,250.
To accommodate heavy usage by a booming population, a ‘wrap-around' addition expanded the Carnegie building. Again, usage grew.
Following a 1975 referendum, the old library building was razed and the collection moved to temporary quarters just east of the library. In the fall of 1977, a new 40,000 square foot building opened. In 1983, the second floor was redesigned, and the Reference Department moved upstairs.
In 1996, residents approved an $8.2 million referendum to reconstruct and update the library by adding an addition. The new 67,738 square foot building opened in February,1999.
A Strategic Plan was announced in 2012 that included a building renovation scheduled for 2014. The $2.4 million renovation plans called for more study spaces, upgraded technology, improved WiFi, enhanced display of items, and a cafe space that welcomes food and drink. Construction is now complete!
In the library's 125th anniversary year, more than 542,008 visitors checked out over 1,036,494 items.