Over 1,000,000 check outs is a great success to celebrate, in a long history of service excellence to the community. In addition to breaking the record on check outs for a single year, in 2016, we celebrated:
- A 39% increase in our Book a Tech appointments which provide one-on-one assistance with Computer Help Desk staff for your specific technology needs.
- Adult and Teen Services Librarian Lizzie Matkowski and Teen Services Coordinator Lynette Pitrak made presentations at the Illinois Library Association annual conference.
- Children’s Reference and Technology Coordinator Sharon Hrycewicz won the Illinois Library Association’s Davis Cup for outstanding library service to children.
- We received a grant from the Schwemm Family Foundation for a pilot project to begin digitizing local newspapers as they come out of copyright.
- The first Library-sponsored Girls Who Code program graduated a class of sixteen middle and high school students.
- View from the Sound Booth program gave two local bands the opportunity to digitally record their music. Hear their songs at youtube.com/dgplnews.
2017 is off to a great start with a focus on planning for the future. The library’s strategic planning process included six open community focus groups and over 70 interviews of key stakeholders from organizations throughout Downers Grove. The Downers Grove Library Foundation welcomed three new Directors to their Board—Missy Hansen, Genene Murphy and Ed Pawlak—as well as the continuing service of long-time Directors John Mochel and Thomas Read.
As we celebrate our past success and plan for success in the future, DGPL continues its mission of extending to all the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive!